We’re well into fall, and that means it’s time for all things cozy. The weather has finally cooled (well, at least a little here in Texas) and visions of snuggling under blankets and enjoying warm drinks is all that’s running through your mind. It’s also the perfect time to pay a little attention to your significant other before the madness of the holidays really begins.
Holidays can be stressful and expensive. All the more reason to have a fun and cheap date night before they hit! To help get you started, I’ve put together a list of seven ideas for frugal fall fun. (Say that ten times fast.) You should be able to do any of these with your boo before the end of the year.
- Visit a corn maze. Corn mazes are good times, and they’re usually a part of a larger festival or carnival. Tickets are usually less than $20. You spend time outside, solving a puzzle together and soaking up a classic fall activity.
- Brewery visit. What’s better than a nice cold beer? Take your love to a local brewery to try a flight of their beers. Support local business, enjoy an afternoon outside the house, and save some money! Most breweries will also offer tours, so if you have an interest in beer at all, take them up on it.
- Go to your local high school football game. I don’t know about you, but I was a huge fan of the movie ‘Friday Night Lights’. Maybe it’s the fact that I was born and raised in Texas — the football capital of the world. Yes, WORLD! Anyhow, if you’re looking for an inexpensive date idea consider taking in a local high school football game. If you do, just remember to bring a blanket to throw over your laps and look forward to having fun cheering on the home team together.
- Hit a farmers market and cook together. Even though I’m (admittedly) not much of a (good) cook, fall always inspires me to try my hand in the kitchen. Go to a farmer’s market and by some fresh ingredients to make your favorite dish back home together. Even if the meal doesn’t turn out to be gourmet-quality, chances are you’ll have a fun time putting it together — and that’s what it’s really all about anyway.
- Go hiking. If you’re in a place where the foliage changes with the seasons, Mother Nature is giving you the perfect frugal date. Find a hike in your area and spend a few miles catching up with your partner. Snap a few photos of the trees for Instagram too!
- Open Mic Nights. Comedy is good for the soul. Support your local comedians and take in an open mic night. Who knows, you might see the next Kevin Hart or Kristen Wiig!
- Couples date night. This one is for you and your friends. Invite another couple over for dinner and a movie. Too often our friendships get pushed to the side when life happens. Catch up with your boo and your friends in one go.
Fall is a great time to shake yourself out of any rut before the end of the year. Savor these final two months of 2016 with your partner and treat yourselves to a frugal date night.
I’m sure there were a few ideas that I missed, so let me know in the comments some of the best frugal dates you’ve been on.